Far from the city centre nearly one kilometer, Crazy House is located at 3, Huynh Thuc Khang Road, Da Lat City, Lam Dong. Its initial name is “Biệt thự Hằng Nga” (Hang Nga Villa), then it’s renamed “Ngôi nhà điên” (Crazy House) or “Ngôi nhà kỳ dị” (Odd-looking House)
It’s Doctor-Architect Dang Viet Nga who put forward the proposal to design this house and it’s built in 1990. Located on the ground which is about 1.900 m2 in width, Crazy House is extraordinarily stylized with 100 roofs along with an uniquely odd-looking architecture carrying the features of expressionism. Its appearance looks like a root, a cave in dense perennial jungle, or even a part of the wild animal. Crazy House has become a charming tourist attraction of Da Lat since the past decade…
1. Exploring “Crazy House”
No sooner do you step into Crazy House than you’ll have a mixed feeling as though you got lost in a dense forest like fairy tales: interlacing green creepers winding themselves around the old trees that are too big for 2 people to hug. Around this house are concrete statues carved into the shape of wild animals and big mushrooms. The cobwebs, which are made of interlacing barbed wires hung outdoor, look like the real ones. This house is designed with the rough, convex and concave architecture as well as the black, yellow, brown concrete of strange forms. Therefore, it makes tourists feel mysterious.
Stepping up the winding stairs from the tree roots, you’ll reach the small convenient rooms which are set in big holes on the trees. They look like caves and most of them are named after animals such as: Bear Room, Tiger Room, Eagle Room, Kangaroo Room,… Each of these rooms isn’t completely similar to the others and there is something special about their architecture and design. The furniture carved tightly with curved walls is also odd-looking and tiny. Not only are convex windows made but even concave ones are also furnished. Certainly, they’ll make tourists impressed. All of the ceilings, doors and corridors leading to the rooms are designed by the owner’s inspiration.
Perhaps, the nicest room is Gourd Room. This is also the highest room of Crazy House and needless to say foreign tourists are very interested in it. Because the fact that instead of using a blanket, you can make firewood burn up inside to warm yourselves when sleeping during the whole night. Most of the rooms are well equipped like the luxurious hotels…
2. Some neighboring tourist attractions.
If you’re intended to take a long journey, you may visit Dalanta Waterfall along with the romantic beauty spots in Love Valley and take part in a lot of exciting games there, or go shopping at Da Lat Market.
3. Basic information.
- To serve tourists, Crazy House opens from 8.30 am to 7 pm every day.
- Tourists may consider staying at Crazy House with all the comfort and convenience of modern tourism here and the price is ranging from 750.000 to 1.000.000 vietnamese dong/night/2 pax.
4. Contact information.
Crazy House – Biệt thự Hằng Nga
Address: No 3, Huynh Thuc Khang Road, Da Lat City, Viet Nam
Phone number: 84 63 38 22 070
Fax: 84 63 62 51 279
Email 1: [email protected]
Email 2: [email protected]
- Watch out for pickpockets, especially in crowed places.
- The climate is getting colder and colder in the evening and night, so take a thin coat to keep yourselves be in good health.
- In October and November, wild sunflowers are in full bloom. Therefore, if you want to see them, you may choose the time to get there.
6. Some tips – Do you know?!
- Crazy House, designed by architect Dang Viet Nga, was inspired by romance, the nature of Da Lat as well as Gaudi’s masterpieces and the splendidly famous Disney Castle.
- Its architecture along with 9 other ones in the world is voted as top ten of the odd-looking architecture by People’s Daily Magazine in 2009.
- It is ranked third among top twenty of the most extraordinary rooms in the world by the site Business Insider of S.A
… Hope that all information above will be helpful for your journey – Wish you have a good and safe journey !